Here are 7 quick tips for English language learners.
- Learn how to use punctuation correctly (comma, quotes, question mark, etc).
- Don’t start sentences with “I think”, “but” or “and”.
- Don’t make your sentences too long (avoid the “run-on” sentence). See this article from Grammar Girl for more help with this.
- Don’t use Google Translate for whole sentences. It works well for one word at a time translations. When you translate whole sentences, it often makes mistakes.
- Learn more vocabulary. For example: verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, question words. When learning a new word don’t just learn the definition. Also learn how to use that new word in a sentence.
- Learn how to use the apostrophe (for example, do not can be don’t and what is can be what’s).
- Learn when to use the letter S at the end of a word and when not to. Remember to make the S sound when saying words that have an S at the end.