Someone asked me this question on Facebook:
“How can I get better at listening in English?”
Being able to understand what you hear in English is an important skill. According to Rohan Cox (an English teacher), improving your listening skill also improves your pronunciation skill at the same time. Can you hear the difference between the words three and tree? If you can, then you’ll be able to pronounce the different sounds at the beginning of those two words.
Here are six more ways to get better at listening in English:
1. Watch this whole video. It’s an old video but it’s worth watching. Pay attention to the part when he talks about CNN. That’s where he talks about listening.
2. Do you practice listening in English when you’re not in the classroom? Here are some ways to do that.
3. My English teacher friends have some great advice on how to get better at listening.
4. Here are six ways to help improve your English listening skill and social knowledge.
5. Listen to English TALK radio all the time (no music, just talking). Have it on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Except when you’re sleeping of course. Even if you don’t understand what they’re saying….eventually you will.
6. Go to English clubs often. Here’s a list of them in (and near) Vinh City.
How do you get better at listening in English? Leave a comment with your way to get better.