How students can get better at English by playing Minecraft
There’s a great way to get better at English by playing Minecraft.
You need the Education Edition of Minecraft (it’s free) and the English Adventures world by Cambridge English. It’s a Minecraft world they created. You will also need a Microsoft 365 license. If you don’t have a license, Cambridge English will email it to you for free.
Read the FAQ from Cambridge English for help.
Ask me if you need any help with any of these steps. 🙂
- Go here: English Adventures with Cambridge English – Nhấn vào link này: English Adventures with Cambridge English
- Look for Sign Up and complete the form with your name, email address, etc – Kéo xuống phía dưới trang trên và tìm Sign Up. Điền đầy đủ thông tin về tên, địa chỉ email… và nhấn sign up sau khi điền xong.
- Look for an email with the subject, Your login details | English Adventures with Cambridge – Vào email của bạn sẽ thấy một thư được gửi đến Your login details
- Your username and password (your account) will be in that email – Trong email đó có tên đăng nhập và mật khẩu.
- Go here: Minecraft Education Edition – Hãy đến trang web này: Minecraft Education Edition
- Put Minecraft on your device (computer, iPad, etc) (click Download at the top) – Hãy nhấn Download để tải Minecraft về máy tính hoặc Ipad của bạn.
- Open Minecraft and enter your account info (from the email you got from Cambridge English) – Sau khi tải về hãy mở Minecraft ra và điền thông tin tên đăng nhập và mật khẩu trên bước 4
- Keep Minecraft open, go to the Your login details email – Không đóng Minecraft và đến email của bạn vào thư được nhận từ bước 3.
- Click the PLAY NOW! button in the email and open that link with Minecraft – Nhấn vào PLAY NOW! trong email đó và mở đường link bằng Minecraft.
- Click CREATE WORLD to get the English Adventures Minecraft world – Nhấn CREATE WORLD để đến với thế giới English Adventures Minecraft.
- Play Minecraft, have fun and get better at English 😁 – Hãy chơi thôi nào!
This is what you’ll see before adding the English Adventures Minecraft world to Minecraft.
Watch this video to learn more about Minecraft Immersive Reader. Turn on the English subtitles. The Immersive Reader lets you see parts of speech, slow the voice speed, translate and more.
My Minecraft Quiz
The answers to these questions can be found by playing Minecraft and searching the web.
Take this quiz after you have opened the gate to the library in Minecraft. The quiz deadline is July 31 at 11:45 PM.
Here are the quiz questions.
- What’s the name of the person standing on the boat?
- What’s his job?
- What did he tell you to do?
- Where did the magic page fly to?
- How did you fix Steve’s sign?
- How did you open the gate to the library?
- What’s the name of the Minecraft world created by Cambridge Assessment English?
- Do you like this Minecraft world, English Adventures? Why or why not? Your answer must be 3 sentences or more.
- What’s the nickname of the person who created Minecraft?
- What is the name of another game to learn English while playing?
How language teachers can excite their students with Minecraft
Your students are already playing a lot of Minecraft. Why not teach them a way to get better at English by playing Minecraft? Watch this ONE MINUTE video that answers the question, What is Minecraft?
You should read what I wrote for students first (go to the top of this page). Then watch the Cambridge English webinar. They wrote about how they built their Minecraft world for English learners and how video games provide effective learning. You can find a walkthrough, a teacher’s resource pack, worksheets and more here.
Here’s how I introduced this to my students –
- In an online lesson, I made some Google Slides
- By sharing my screen, I showed them step-by-step how to play
- For their homework, they have to play Minecraft and complete a quiz
- In the quiz, there are 10 open-ended questions (see the 10 questions in My Minecraft Quiz)
I used Quizizz to create the quiz. You can see it here. You have to actually play Minecraft to finish the quiz. Or you can just look at questions I made in My Minecraft Quiz on this page. The answers to the questions can be found by playing the game and searching the web.
I wrote an article about this for Freeed (a place where teachers can share skills and knowledge). Read it here.
P.S. — Microsoft tweeted about my article! 😄