Top 10 Links for Students
- ELSA Speak – Practice Speaking English
- A Teacher’s Advice for Students Learning English
- Four ways to get better at languages
- 5 techniques to speak any language (with Vietnamese subtitles)
- Rachel’s English
- Language Guide
Bonus Link: English Clubs in (and near) Vinh City
Practice makes perfect – Practice often inside and outside of the classroom. Speak English every day. Listen, read and write in English as much as you can. Create a learning schedule to practice. For example, every Wednesday night you’ll listen to a podcast in English.
Learn to think in English – When you look at something try to think of the English word for it. Try to make simple sentences in your head and have simple conversations with yourself (in your head). This video (with subtitles in Vietnamese) has more ways to think in English.
Listen in English – For at least 20 minutes every day (audio book, podcast, songs, radio, etc). More ways to practice listening here.
Very important – Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, learn from your mistakes and ask a lot of questions.
Read! – English books, articles online, etc. Harry Potter is a good book to start with. More reading suggestions here.
Start an English diary – Carry a small notebook with you all the time and write new words in it (with the translations in your native language). To remember the new words, cover the English word with your hand. Then, look at the word in your native language and see if you can remember the word in English. Use a pen and paper in combination with your smartphone (not only your smartphone). When you learn a new word, you should also learn how to make a sentence with it.
Write in English – Write short paragraphs. Ask a native English speaker to correct it for you. Either online or in-person.
Don’t forget to have fun! – Play English games (apps or with your computer). Keep reading for some games to play online.
- Advice from Sella: “How to train your brain to think in English”
- Advice from Carol: “Practice Perfect Makes Perfect”
- Advice from Mary: “Be motivated to learn English!”
- 7 Quick Tips for English Language Learners
- Blake’s 18 Tips for English Language Learners
- Listen up students! Advice from teachers on improving your listening skills
- 10 videos to get better at English
- ELSA: An English Teacher in Your Pocket
- A Vietnamese teenager answers questions about studying in Australia
- Tracy To’s advice for students who want to study abroad
- Linh Phan shares advice about studying in America
- How to practice English when you’re not in the classroom
- Helpful links for anyone who’s learning English
- How to Learn a New Language in 2017
- Want to Practice Speaking English with a Native Speaker? Go Online!
- English Vocabulary: Advice From 17 English Teachers
- How to speak English fluently – 34 experts give their tips
- How do I improve my English speaking skills in a very short time?
- My Secrets to Learning English Faster
- 7 Tips for Conversational Competence
- 7 common English pronunciation mistakes of Vietnamese speakers (Part 1)
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Spoken English at Home (Without Lessons!)
- 33 ways to speak better English – without taking classes
- 10 Simple Strategies to Learn Perfect English Pronunciation
From the ELSA blog
- The complete guide to using ELSA Speak and mastering the art of fluent English speaking
- How “Y” changes when she meets these 4 guys
- /s/ or /z/?
- Reduced Sounds – Why Americans speak so fast and swiftly
- How to pronounce “T” like a pro
- 6 awesome YouTube channels that can actually help you improve your English speaking skills
- Quiz Your English
- AEB Learn English (iPhone) (Android)
- Johnny Grammar’s Word Challenge
- British Council apps for learning English
- iSub English app (Android | iPhone)
- Learn English with ABA English
- English Pronunciation Training
- English Phonetic Pronunciation
- English Listening Practice
- Dan Hauer
- How to pronounce -ed verb endings
- Learning English – A Means to an End (an episode from a Vietnamese TV channel about learning English; subtitled in Vietnamese)
- The best ways to learn English
- Learning English Listening For Beginners
- HOW I BECAME FLUENT IN ENGLISH + TOP 10 ENGLISH SPEAKING TIPS
- Improve your English Pronunciation! (with the IPA)
- Speak English Clearly! The Imitation Technique
- Ket noi tieng Anh Phim
- BBC Learning English
Online English Tutors (video chat with a native English speaker)
English Communities (meet and talk with people in English)
- My Language Exchange
- Hope Speak
- How Do You Do?
- English, baby!
- Word Perfect English
- Speak Method
- Cambridge English Write & Improve
- ESL Bits
- Reverso Conjugation
- Test Your Vocabulary
- Dave’s ESL Cafe
- Learning Chocolate
- US State Department American English
- English Homework Help Resource Guide
- Grammar Girl
- BrainPOP ESL
- Urban Dictionary