A Visitor’s Guide to Vinh City
Vinh City is in North Central Vietnam. It’s the capital city of the Nghe An province. Vinh offers a look at the authentic Vietnamese way of life. You can make some great memories in Vinh by meeting the people who live here, trying the food and experiencing the culture. My top three suggestions are about food. You should try coconut jelly, eat seafood at Cua Lo Beach and have crispy duck.
- Coconut jelly – No. 5 Ho Tung Mau (near Ho Chi Minh Square)
- Cua Lo Beach – 20 KMs from Vinh
- Crispy duck – Vịt 117 – 117 Nguyễn Thiếp, Trường Thi District
There’s a Facebook group for Vinh and Nghe An. It’s called Expats and locals Vinh, Nghệ An.
They offer great tours in this part of Vietnam. They can also help you if you have any questions about Vinh, Nghe An or Vietnam. Call them at (+84) 97 1900 990. A friendly tour guide (who speaks English and Vietnamese) will answer. You can also reach them through their website or visit their Facebook page.
A group of university students and two volunteer teachers from Finland worked together to create a travel book about Vinh City. You can download an electronic version of it here.
Things to see and do
- Vinh Museum – Xo Viet Nghe Tinh – số 10, đường Đào Tấn, Cửa Nam
- Sunrise fish market at Cua Lo Beach – If you get to the beach early enough you can buy fresh seafood right off the boat.
- Vinh Market / Cho Vinh – A big indoor/outdoor market. It’s fun to walk around and see what they’re selling.
- A small night market – They sell food only. It’s near the ancient city gate.
- Central Park & Ho Chi Minh Square – See the statue of Ho Chi Minh.
- Quyet Mountain – A short hike to the top on a paved path gives you a beautiful view.
- Chùa Phật Linh – A small Buddhist temple surrounded by a lotus flower pond.
- Goong Lake – There’s a nice footpath around it.
- Muong Thanh Song Lam Hotel – 13 Quang Trung – Get a panoramic view of Vinh from the 33rd floor. They have live music on Friday nights. You can swim in the pool on the 4th floor. You don’t need to be a hotel guest. It’s 80,000 VND for the day.
- Lam Con Karaoke – Number 2, Alley 5, Nguyen Canh Chan Street (near Vinh Market) – Sing your heart out in a private room.
Things to eat and drink
- Oc Nho Sai Gon – 54 Đinh Công Tráng – They have amazing fresh seafood. Try the blood clams and the seafood fried rice.
- Do Nuong – 118B Nguyen Van Cu – A Vietnamese BBQ place. It’s next to Happy Bakery.
- Bun Dau – 182 Phan Chu Trinh – A delicious bowl of noodles with vegetables and meat.
- Bun Cha – 69 Dinh Cong Trang – Bun Cha is the famous dish that Obama had when he visited Vietnam.
- Vịt 117 – 117 Nguyễn Thiếp, Trường Thi District – The crispy duck is delicious.
- Gà Sạch 113 – 113 Doc Thiet – The crunchy chicken is tasty.
- Cháo Canh – 169 Dang Thai Than – A noodle bowl with pork, beef and eggs.
- Saigon Kim Lien Hotel Restaurant – 25 Quang Trung – Try the Bo Ne for breakfast. It’s sizzling beef with onions, egg and tomato. It’s served with freshly baked bread.
- Com Tam Sai Gon – 76 Minh Khai – Good for a cheap, quick lunch.
- Eel soup – 190 Nguyễn Trường Tộ – Try it if you dare.
- Bot coffee – It’s inside Vinh Market (link with pictures but in Vietnamese). It’s hard to find but worth it. If you go to the market and show them a picture of the coffee, someone will show you how to get there.
- Coconut jelly – No. 5 Ho Tung Mau (near Ho Chi Minh Square)
- Soft serve ice cream – TH True Mart on Quang Trung (next to Bac A Bank).
- Fruit-flavored frozen yogurt – 114 B Lê Hồng Phong – It’s diagonally across from Happy Bakery.
- Moon – 155 Nguyen Van Cu – They’ve got delicious finger food.
- Shogun Japanese Street BBQ – Trung tâm thương mại City Hub – Số 1, Đường Lê Hồng Phong – It’s inside City Hub.
- Gin’s Pizza – 94 Phong Định Cảng (across the street from Le Viet Thuat High School)
- Fuji (Japanese) – TT01 – Vinaconex 9B – Dai lo LeNin
- Hanabi (Japanese and Vietnamese) – 180 Nguyen Van Cu
- Jam Thai (Thai) – 63 Nguyễn Thái Học
- Han Quoc Quan (Korean) – 49 Nguyen Tien Tai
- Gogi House (Korean) – 45 Quang Trung or 15 Ho Tung Mau
- The Pizza Company – So 17 Quang Trung
Coffee shops & cafes
- Ngau Coffee & Store – 36 Le Loi
- Lassy Coffee – 2 locations: 100 Nguyen Duc Canh, 37C Le Van Huu & Số 5 Ngô Tuân (off Kim Đồng)
- Barbetta – Số 8 đường Nguyễn Tài
- May Cafe – (live music) 133 Dang Thai Than
- Sonata Cafe & Lounge (live music) – 6 Le Mao, next to Heaven nightclub
- Ding Tea – So 100, duong Nguyen Van Cu
- KEFI Cafe – 74 Phan Chu Trinh (FAST Internet!)
- Happy Bakery – 117 Lê Hồng Phong
- Coffee Talk – No. 5, Ho Tung Mau
- Ecstasy Container Coffee – Ngõ 16 Đường số 1, Khu Đô Thị Mới Vinh Tân, Lê Mao Kéo Dài
- Choa – Số 1 Vương Thúc Mậu – It’s a coffee shop during the day and a and bar at night with live music.
- Wepub – 62A Minh Khai
- Espérer – 138 Nguyễn Văn Cừ
- Vuvuzela – 45 Quang Trung
- WeLove Pub & Coffee – 8 An Duong Vuong
- Hello! English Club – Meetings are every Tuesday morning at Sonata Cafe.
- Play With English Club – Meetings are every Wednesday night at Vinh University (Room A3 105).
- Vinh English Club – Meetings are every Sunday at 5 PM at SOS Village, 28 Hermann Gmeiner Street.
- A list of English clubs can be found here.
- Dai Tue Pagoda – A Buddhist pagoda on a mountaintop. It’s about a 2 hour hike from Nam Dan.
- Birthplace of Ho Chi Minh in Nam Dan – 14 KMs from Vinh.
- Cua Lo beach – 20 KMs from Vinh.
- Bai Lu beach – 26 KMs from Vinh.
- Mương Thanh Safari Land – A resort and zoo, 67 KMs from Vinh.
- Pu Mat National Park – 126 KMs from Vinh.
- Thermal pool at Son Kim Hot Springs – 130 KMs from Vinh.
- Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park & Cave – 194 KMs from Vinh.
- Riverboat ride at Trang An – 203 KMs from Vinh.
- Bo De – A yummy vegetarian place. Directions: It’s near Ho Chi Minh Square. There is a small road next to a Korean restaurant. Go down that road and it will be on your left.
- Nha Hang Anh Quoc – It’s near Vinh Stadium.
Videos about Vinh & Nghe An
- Vinh Recreation Center (VRC) – 1 Phan Bội Châu (across the street from the train station) – It’s 5 floors with Highlands Cafe, BreadTalk, King BBQ, a cinema and more.
- CityHub – Số 1, đường Lê Hồng Phong – It’s 5 floors with Shogun Japanese Street BBQ, Hot Pot Paradise, Gong Cha Coffee, a cinema and more.
- Benh Vien Thai Thuong Hoang Massage & Spa – 4th floor, next to Avatar Coffee on Nguyen Sy Sach – A legitimate luxury spa for a fair price (for women only).
- MegaMart (a big box store) – Đường Dũng Quyết, Phường Bến Thủy (it’s near the Lam River) – Take a left just before the bridge to Ha Tinh and it’s 500m up that road.